The Planning Minister has just commenced a two year review of the R-Codes.
“This review will assess the current effectiveness of the R-Codes to ensure the policy remains relevant and effective for all residential development within Western Australia,” [Planning Minister] Mr Day said.
The review will investigate a wide range of issues including:
- consideration of the local planning policies being prepared by local government and the consistency in the development of these policies
- new and emerging residential design trends not currently catered for in the R-Codes
- sustainable development issues relating to the design and energy efficiency of buildings
- the role of detailed area plans and the relationship with the R-Codes
- design for climate variations to encompass regional design requirements.
The Minister said the review would involve a public consultation phase scheduled for the first half of 2011.